Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Surgery & Recovery

The past month has been a long month....but Morgan is doing much better then she was. Backing up to a month ago, Sept 18th the day of her surgery.  That was a hard day. I hated seeing her be rolled off in that huge hospital bed off to surgery.  I kept all my tears in until she was down the hall out of my sight, and then lost it.  That was the hardest thing I had to do.  Patrick left our personal waiting area room to find us some breakfast.  I texted with updates, and starred at the clock on the wall.  The nurse called with updates, and finally we were moved to her room in another area and waited for her to meet us there.  When she got there the nurse handed her to me and she was crying and blood was dripping out of her mouth and nose....I just held her.....and she fell to sleep for a short bit, but then woke up again upset and in pain....the med they gave her was a short lived medicine and it had worn off....I requested a bed for her instead of a crib, so I could cuddle up right there with her at the second she fussed I would be there.....the nurse got her on morphine and that would last about 2 hours.....she was able to get some sleep during the rest of the day.  By evening the Dr came by to see how she was doing, and she was sitting up actually kind of playing with some toys, she had eaten a little bit and drank a little bit....when she saw the drs she gave them this stare look that meant business...you could tell she knew who they were and remembered that they made her mouth hurt.....the dr said if she keeps up the progress and eats breakfast we could go home in the morning.  Well, she slept well that night, waking up for vitals and meds but did get some sleep in.  She had some breakfast and even went for a few walks around the hospital and the outside area they have set up there. Fresh air felt great for all three of us at this point! She had some lunch and drank some out of her bottle, and we were released Wednesday afternoon.  We got settled in at home, nana came to visit and Morgan seemed to be acting good....playing and just happy to be home....but come dinner time she refused to eat again or drank...we were worried, but put her to bed thinking we will see what happens in the morning.  Well, Patrick had aquired pink eye and the next morning went to the dr to get drops.  Morgan continued to be really really out of it, not moving much, and not eating or drinking at all...we called the dr and they said that if by 5pm or so she has not improved she will need to go to the ER for iv fluids.....well that is exactly what happened. She did not improve, and so since Patrick had pick eye and needed his drops for 24 hrs frist he was not able to go with us to the Er....my mother in law came over to take Morgan and I back and sat with us while she got her first dose of fluids...they then determined that since she still had a fever she will need to stay until she is drinking again on her own.....my mother in law stayed til we were settled in to our room...just a few doors down the hall from out first room we had the first time.  She was able to find me some dinner, and I inhaled a burger and fies at 1am...after Morgan had fallen asleep and my mother in law had gone home.  It was a long night, as Morgan only wanted to sleep on top of me, and since I was alone I had to call the nurse every time I had to get up to go to the bathroom, so she could watch Morgan for me for a min.  Luckily Patrick was able to come to the hospital that morning, which was now Friday,....his BIRTHDAY....what a way to spend it....!! We settled in for the day, and Morgan had finally started eating and drinking enough by Saturday afternoon, so we were again released.  Her night terrors came back after we got home, along with finding out she now had strep throat as well...it was rough....that is the truth, but we knew it was only temporarily....but still the hardest thing ever!!  She is still on her soft food diet and still not awesome at sleeping as good as she was before surgery, but we have made progress.  Next week is post op so hopefully we get cleared to go back to a normal diet.  Stuff like applesauce still comes out her nose at times, so we think either she has a fistula or the palate just has not completely healed yet....she started speech therapy two weeks ago, so we will see how that goes. 


if I open wide enough, can you see my new palate? :-)
 

yay! mommy finally let me eat tomatoe sauce, and it was yummy!

my new panda from baba's work.

first time eating Mexican food....it qualified as soft food, so she inhaled an enchilada,rice and beans. haha!

Making a fashion statement!

first time on baba's shoulders.

helping mommy decorate for Halloween

Sharing baba's ice cream

Our family

No comments:

Post a Comment